[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
KinverOnline Forum • View topic - Windows 10

Windows 10

Eveything else. All the chat and nonsense that normally goes on around a roaring fire in your local pub.

Moderators: Chavzone, Daisy

Windows 10

Postby kluless » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:53 am

Soooo... M$ are offering a free update to Windows 10, to Windows 7 & 8 users... I have to ask, with this being M$ "What's the catch?" :confused:

...and what happened to Windows 9? :)
kluless

Re: Windows 10

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Nope, no catch, totally free!

They feel they cocked up with Windows 8, so this one is a freebie for everyone. Personally, I think Windows 8 is the best thing since sliced bread. It's just that it's far more different to the other ones. Yup, hasn't got a start button, but if you use its new features it's actually faster than any previous version to get at what you want. I hope 10 doesn't break this.

And I don't believe there's an official reason why it's 10. Some say because the number 9 is bad luck in Japan, others that it's to avoid shoddy programming, yet more because "10" looks better.

It's not even the correct version number, it's just a name.
Admin

Postby Boycee » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:44 am

Re: No Windows 9

Possibly due to Windows 95 Legacy code issues....?
Boycee

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:46 am

Admin

Windows 9*

Postby Boycee » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:52 am

Yep - thats the kind of stuff!!
Boycee

Postby Freddie » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:42 am

I hated windows8 and I already loath Windows10

Windows8 might be fine for tablets and phones, but I found it difficult to use and it did not work. The USB ports were not recognised so I could no longer connect to my camera, I got arm ache moving the pointer, and the absence of start was a real pain.

I removed it and reinstalled my trusted Windows7 which still worked OK until that upgrade for free windows10 appeared. Speed down, crashes regularly with an error which according toy research is caused by the upgrade offer install , due to MS rushing out the upgrade offer without proper testing. I removed it and set auto updates to choose what to install, but they override that and put it back despite all efforts.

If your PC works, skip the upgrades.
Freddie

Postby kluless » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:18 am

I make regular image backups of Win 7, so that I can fall back to it relatively easily.

Seems we won't all be getting the W10 upgrade on 29th July, it will be some time after that before we plebs get it...

If M$ perform as per usual, they'll probably bring the net to a standstill :(
kluless

Postby Sniper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:45 pm

I'm glad I'm still on XP !!
Sniper
Super-user

Postby PaulL » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:28 pm

PaulL

Postby Sniper » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:38 pm

Is it time to bite the financial bullet and go to MAC perhaps??
Sniper
Super-user

Next

Return to General Banter