The Anglican church of St Peters Church dates back to the 11th century, and was constructed following the Norman Conquest. It was probably built on the site of Pagan rituals to prevent supporters of the old religion from worshiping on the site. There is some evidence of a Saxon church on the site, possibly built dating back to the reign of King Wulhere. The Naive roof is a very fine example of an early Norman wooden roof design. The roof timbers show a double collar beam truss and barrel vaulting. The tower is a later addition dating to 1380, but has the oldest window in the building. The church commands a prominent, easily defended position, and can be seen from miles around, often not in a direction where one would expect to see the church tower.
The small chapel at the North East corner of the church is the Foley Chapel. It was built by John de Hampton who lived in Stourton Castle. However, the Foley family, who had become wealthy due to iron making, moved the tomb of the Hamptons when they turned the chapel into their private pew.
Rector of Kinver and Enville: Revd Karen Stanton. Tel 872556
Rector’s p.a.: Mrs Barbara Rundle. Tel 872476
Wardens: Mrs Margaret Emuss (Tel. 873357) and Nick Other (Tel 07850 786504)
Church Council Secretary: Mark Middleton (Tel 873201)
For details of services, see notice boards in the High Street and outside church, or visit achurchnearyou.com