[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
KinverOnline Forum • View topic - Interested in paranormal topics.....?

Interested in paranormal topics.....?

I receive lots of questions about Kinver History, so I reckon it deserves it's own forum!

Interested in paranormal topics.....?

Postby Nicholas » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi all,

I hope I will be forgiven for starting a second 'ghost related' thread on the forum, but I'm not looking for experiences for a publication - not out to make money, or anything like that - just interested in seeing if anyone has anything of interest on this topic..... and whether someone might be up for a 'bit of banter' on the subject, perhaps? (Laugh!!)

With a place as historic as Kinver, I'd have thought that there would be a fair few spooky tales doing the rounds..... but this might not actually be the case, it seems? I was just going through my files a little earlier and found a fairly old newscutting (late 70's / early 80's perhaps) concerning an allegedly haunted antiques shop in the High Street.... I've had a quick look on the net re. this matter and cannot seem to find and corresponding shops currently, so I'd imagine the establishment concerned is long gone now(?) The same goes for an eatery in the town that allegedly housed a somewhat virulent poltergeist-like haunting...... The latter may well be still extant, however, as - in speaking with someone in the Stourbridge region recently - we were told that they owned such a place in the Kinver region.

I was trying to think of another matter that I read a few years back, concerning an old pub in the town that was reputed to be haunted by a phantom cavalier (or some such cliche')..... If I recall correctly, there was a tree associated with the site - in the grounds of the establishment, or once stood near the site - where executions were carried out.... At the time of the Civil War, I believe it was said that some poor, unfortunate Royalists were 'strung up' there and, hence, the story of the spooky Cavalier!!! (I'd imagine that he wasn't a 'laughing' example, under the circumstances!! Laugh!!!)

Anyway - I thought I might just take a couple of minutes to pop in and drop this thread on you all...... Laugh!!

All the best to everyone,

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com (Est. 1989)
Nicholas

Re: Interested in paranormal topics.....?

Postby Freddie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:29 pm

There was a pale faced person wandering about my house in the early hours of News Years Day. She didn't say much, and she didn't look too well.
Freddie

Postby Sniper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:50 am

Sniper
Super-user

Postby Sniper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:51 am

Sniper
Super-user

Postby Freddie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:10 am

Freddie

Postby Margaret of the Fox Earth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 pm

The Edge is reputedly haunted by "bandits being chased by men on horses with burning torches", this is almost certainly a memory of the Scotts fleeing after defeat at the Battle of Worcester in 1651. By the time they reached Kinver it was night-time and they were exhausted both Baxter and Townshend describe how they were cut up by the local militia on the heathland. The pear stalked cabaset (c1580-1620) found in the White Hart (there used to be a breastplate too), matchlocks found hidden in trees in Kingsford and Dunsley and sword hoards at Dunsley and several sites in Kinver suggest the locals picked up some goodies from the rout. Allegedly there were still hauntings until recently....whoooooooo!
Margaret of the Fox Earth

Postby Freddie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:34 pm

[quote="Margaret of the Fox Earth"Allegedly there were still hauntings until recently....whoooooooo![/quote]

Very interesting Margaret of the Fox Earth. I heard that Charles I was here in person?

Maybe the ghouls will be out next week for Halloween?
Freddie

Postby Forrester » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:14 pm

As I recall the ghost in the shop was Olga dunn's in the High St. Gallowstree Elm is the tree with the civil war victim. He was I think accused of being a parliamentarian recruit (he was only a lad) and he was hung when the Royal Army approached Kidderminster from Himley. Richard Baxter who was knocking around at the time describes how the first action of the civil war was the parliament scouts seeing the approach of the Royalists from Kinver Edge. They then swiftly moved on to Kiddrminster, where the "Roundheads" beat a hasty retreat! From there the Royalists marched on Worcester, where the first real battle was fought at Powick Bridge. So, you could say the war started in Kinver!!
Forrester

Postby Freddie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 pm

Freddie

Postby Forrester » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:33 pm

Well Edgehill was the first large scale battle, but Powick Bridge outside Worcester was the commencement of actual combat operations on a smaller scale. I think the Richard Baxter account is in his memoirs which I got hold of in Worcester History centre (now sadly closed...) Ironically the last battle of the civil wars was fought on the opposite side of Powick Bridge in 1651.
Forrester

Return to Kinver History