maps

I receive lots of questions about Kinver History, so I reckon it deserves it's own forum!

maps

Postby gaudemaude » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:21 pm

hi again, does anyone have a map that they would like to share of Kinver in the late 1800's, have looked over the site for the Rock houses and was amazed. I am currently doing research for a book I am writing about my family. Tired of family trees that look like stick figures I intend to plump out the leaves and relive their lives with all the sights, sounds, smells etc.. In order to do that I want to place myself in Kinver and walk the lanes, stop in the shops and visit the Rose and Crown Inn. Help, please!
gaudemaude

Re: maps

Postby Sniper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 pm

No maps from me I'm afraid but I'm sure the Historical Society might be able to help.
As for the "Rose & Crown" - sorry again but it went long long ago
Sniper
Super-user

Old Maps

Postby Freddie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Freddie

Postby mort » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:24 am

I am a guide at the rock houses and Kinver born and bred - there are some books of photo's of kinver - available on Amazon at very reasonable prices. Britain in old photographs - published by Sutton Publishing Ltd - based in Stroud in Gloucestershire

Have relatives whose families lived in the caves and have pictures passed down - there is also a report commissioned by the National Trust when they were looking at renovations back in the 90's - but out of print which goes into depth about the resisdents of the rock houses based on historical records - there is a copy at the rock houses.

If I can assist please let me know - but I would hurry up if you want a pint - won't be many pubs left soon !!

Mort
mort

Postby gaudemaude » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:39 pm

thank you, everyone, gives me a start. Would love to share a pint, afraid we don't have anything like your pubs here even though there are brave attempts. Hope they never completely disappear.
It amazes me that so many countries are doing away with the old and replacing with cookie cutter imitations. I have been fortunate to be able to travel and time and time again the character and culture seems to be fading. You would think localities would catch on that what tourists look for is the olde and interesting. Ah well that's my soap box for today, cheers!
gaudemaude

Return to Kinver History