[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
KinverOnline Forum • View topic - Kinver Rockhouses.

Kinver Rockhouses.

Much of the village's trade is based on toursim; how can we improve it?

Moderators: Chavzone, Daisy

Kinver Rockhouses.

Postby close to the edge » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:25 pm

During a recent walk, I happened upon the Holy Austin Rock houses. The Martindale cottage, the one most visible from Compton Rd is undergoing some sensitive restoration.
A front porch matching the photograph from the '30's now stands proudly at the front. New wrought-iron railings are resplendant at the perimeter. The windows, shutters and door are all cleaned and the flower beds have been planned for planting in the spring. The floor of the cottage has been built-up and levelled and the walls are being lime-washed this week. I understand that funding has been made available to rebuild the left-hand chimney and to purchase and fit a contemporary cooking range and a new floor!
Congrats all round to those involved, both volunteers and staff, it seems that the NT heirarchy has finally decided to 'extract the digit' and develop the 'little gem' of a property that sits upon our doorstep.
The volunteers are re-fitting the interior displayboards of the main rockhouse, also. So there's no excuse for not visiting once it's all open in March.
It's brilliant living here, isn't it!
close to the edge

Re: Kinver Rockhouses.

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:54 am

Brilliant work! I really need to get a 'vote' mod for the board so we can publicise stuff like this.
Admin

Postby Sniper » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:11 pm

Much better to Develop something rather than Destroy
Regretably the NT seems very adept at the latter in respect of Living Things !
Sniper
Super-user

Postby close to the edge » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:20 pm

It occurs to me that the NT have an excellent record locally. The Kinver Edge Volunteers, led by the NT warden, continue to do sterling work; maintaining footpaths, building access steps, repairing persistent damage to fences/gates etc, clearing-up litter and rolling back the the bracken, brambles, scrubby oaks and birches to leave principal trees, heather and vistas.
A large growth of Bilberries was uncovered last spring and is now thriving again. Stonechats and Nightjars have returned to the Edge because of the clearance; Adders, Tawny owls and Lesser-horsehoe bats continue to thrive. Hobbies and Sparrowhawks regularly hunt there and a Red Kite has been observed also.
The Edge has been a busy outdoor destination for more than 100 years and remains under considerable visitor pressure as an SSSI and contains a registered Ancient monument that has been successfully rescued from a 3m tall gorse plantation.
Kinver Edge is lowland heath, because of the hand of man. Since the Iron Age, Kinver Edge has been maintained as open heathland to benefit all, it seems to me that the NT is continuing that fine tradition.
The old adage still holds true, though. 'You can't please all the people all the time'. But, if you feel that the above mentioned facts are not to your personal taste, then you should join the local volunteers, so that you may better understand local NT policy and that your viewpoint may be heard and addressed by the wider membership.
close to the edge

Postby Sniper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:48 am

It's well known that I personally do not concur with the works of the KEVS and that view is shared by more than a few.

The Problem is that neither the NATIONAL TRUST nor the VOLUNTEERS take the time to EXPLAIN the reasons for their work publicly. Their marketing ability in respect of their efforts is sadly lacking and their public relations profile is truly appauling.

The programme of works is fragmented.
One day they are clearing Gorse & Birch saplings and the next their attentions are centred on the wholesale destruction of what CTTE decribes as scrubby Oaks - I prefer the term Mature Hardwood Trees - along the ridgeline. There appears to be little or no continuity or structured planning in place. If they are intent on the job - Plan it, Progress it and most important Complete it!!

It is insufficient to simply "justify" the clearance by saying " We are returning the Edge to the way it was". Numerous visitors have expressed the opinion that they simply do not understand the scheme. Instead they are confronted with piles of logs stewn around in a haphazard fashion and that in essence is how the KEVS work is best described.......HAPHAZARD!

Kinveronline now boasts one of the finest "Local Information Portals" around and it's about time that the NT used it to fully explain what they are doing.
Sniper
Super-user

Postby close to the edge » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:58 am

Though NOT an official spokesman for the NT, Ifeel that I can speak from some level of experience.
Your disagreement with local NT policy is noted; it is a fact, that 'you can't please all the people all the time'.
The heathland management work is indeed carefully structured, volunteer teams work at scrub clearance interspersed with many other tasks on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tree-felling takes place within licenced, strictly-controlled guidelines and subject to the availability of a volunteer, NT-approved and trained, tree-feller with the appropriate insurance. Fallen timber plays an important role in the life of woodland and some timber is stacked to form habitat for invertebrates, small mammals etc. Some timber is stacked for later collection.
Your point about information and the connection between NT and the visitor is, I believe, well-made and particularly valid. This NT area now has a 'Countryside Manager' and a 'Local Engagement Officer', whose roles will become clearer in the coming months. As you suggest, Kinveronline could well be an important mouthpiece for the Trust's 'Local engagement'.
The invitation to join the KEVs still stands. It could benefit you; and possibly them. lol.
"Never judge a man til you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, if he objects; you're a mile away. And, you've got his shoes!".
close to the edge

Postby Sniper » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm told this thread is being watched / read / monitored by NT representatives

"This NT area now has a 'Countryside Manager' and a 'Local Engagement Officer', whose roles will become clearer in the coming months. As you suggest, Kinveronline could well be an important mouthpiece for the Trust's 'Local engagement"

It's interesting to note however there's no contribution forthcoming from either.

Meanwhile the wholesale destruction of what was once a pleasantly shaded - from wind, rain & sunshine - ridgeline walk continues unabated, defended by ludicrous claims that it is related to Lowland Heath Management.What utter tripe!

Am I missing something here I wonder?. Perhaps the NT are trying to re-create London's Hyde Park right here in Kinver as I'm told a similar tree clearance policy has been adopted on Wimbledon Common in recent years and where now there's barely a tree for a potential mugger to hide behind

The said Lowland Heath is clearly deliniated by a nice barbed wire fence of couse beyond which can be seen the fragmented and I say it again haphazard, attempts of the KEVS to clear the scrub and self set Birches - before they got bored and got their chainsaws out!

I'm advised to take a "Chill Pill" and accept something I know nothing about. The latter might be partially true, but I do know what numerous people think and it's down to the NT to explain fully their position. After all is said and done, we, the people, pay their wages. I for one will vote with my feet and will cancel my membership of the National Trust.

There's currently a TV advert running concerning de-forestation and how that both endangers wildlife and human kind.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but I was always taught that tree's clean the air we breath. Just how is that possible if you continue to destroy the damned trees? Oh, I know, I'll take a chill pill and wear a face mask so I don't choke on the woodsmoke and nice carbon emissions - from your damned chainsaws!

By the time you read this, it'll be too late. Kinver Edge will have reverted to a barren landscape strewn with discarded branches considered unsuitable for the logburners glowing nicely in the KEVS lounges and forlorne stumps of what were once living trees.

Lest I forget, how about the erosion and surface water runoff now so obvious on the majority of Edge pathways, which this attempt at deforestation has undoubtably caused. Has any consideration been given to that?

Come on you NT representatives, let's be hearing from you or are you to busy deciding what next to destroy?
Sniper
Super-user

Postby BathroomGecko » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:33 pm

I am glad that something is being done to retain and manage the lowland heathland. Looking at the old photographs and postcards of Kinver Edge, from when it was given to the village in the 1920's there was much more of it back then.

I personally don't mind it - for me Kinver Edge and its surroundings are the most wonderful place to visit, and it is the diversity that I love- from the open heathland and the fabulous iron age fort, to the pine forests of Kingsford Country Park, the beautiful oak and beech woodland of Redcliffe covert and Vale Head woods.
It sometimes might seem like habitats are being destroyed when the trees are felled, but I think it is something else Kinver can be proud of, to be home to a threatened and a pretty rare landscape where endangered wildlife can live. It's not really deforestation, it seems to be management of the environment.
I don't know much about the erosion - I don't live in Kinver anymore, and only visit every month or so, but I do go on Kinver Edge when I am back. I've been walking on Kinver Edge since the mid 1970's and the paths come and go - they widen, and then change over time. I remember speaking to someone back in 2001 who had been up early with their dog as the sun rose over the iron age fort, the first day the Edge had been open for some time after it was closed due to Foot and Mouth measures. She told me that she had got onto the top, and there, in the middle of the open space was a deer. The Edge looked different for a few months that summer. My point? Yes, paths do erode, mainly due to the people (and the bikes, a big cause of erosion I think!) but Kinver Edge keeps growing back, and needs to be managed properly. -By the way - Sniper, you are correct about Wimbledon Common - that too is heathland :)

I'm really glad Mrs Martindale's house is being opened up by the way. It is great that something has been done to preserve them. If they had been left, there would be very little of Holy Austin rock left for us to visit. The awful night on the mid 1980's when someone took a chainsaw to the upper story and the roof fell is just one example of what happens when they are left without care. Seeing them look like they would have done at the turn of the century is something that I really enjoy, as do my kids when we go up and visit them.
Although it might be hard to believe, I don't work for the National Trust. I'm not even a member of them, but I do think that without them, Kinver Edge would be a poorer place for us all to visit.
BathroomGecko

Postby deepcroak » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 am

deepcroak

Postby deepcroak » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 pm

It's a massive mis-step to claim that Kinver Edge has a population of mature oaks. In my experience, the few sample oaks of any significant size (say 150 years+) are limited to the county boundary markers, probable former grazed field edges, road and path sides, and slopes which grazing animals were unable to access during the many centurys the land was being farmed - even then, with cheap labour, it was cost effective to send a couple of chaps out with axes, and bring home some firewood.

Bathroom Gecko's excellent picture of less than a hundred years ago, clearly shows the absence of trees behind the Rock Houses, the presence of erosion scars, and profusion of bracken. This is not the only such example for the time period, showing a distinct lack of trees along the Edge.

If anything, NT should spend some time considering their management of the handful of mature oaks, and particularly ensuring something as historically significant as the county boundary indicators are a) given space to mature, and b) have a next generation of planting undertaken to ensure some continuity. All these actions are recommended by the Ancient Tree Forum, but would require management of surrounding trees: i.e. cutting down weedy oak, birch and sycamore growth NOW to ensure that in 200-800years time these specimens are still around for people and wildlife.
deepcroak

Next

Return to Kinver Tourism