Builder and struct engineer recommendations Kinver area

Put all your trade and business related stuff here. Talk about shops, businesses and trading. Anything commercial? This is the place.

Moderators: Chavzone, Daisy

Builder and struct engineer recommendations Kinver area

Postby jean » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:04 am

Hi there,

I'm looking for builders willing to quote on a large Kinver project. It's a rear extension (both ground floor and 1st) and general renovation of the rest of the building and roof renewal.

I'll also need a structural engineer to draw up plans.

Can anyone advise on how long a planning application will take with this local authority?

Thanks very much in advance.

J
jean

Re: Builder and struct engineer recommendations Kinver area

Postby Sniper » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 pm

If you want the very best try Marsh Associates in Kinver
http://www.marsh-associates.org/
Ask for Dave Marsh........... He can advise on all the aspects you mention.
Sniper
Super-user

Postby matyhaty » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Had a bad experience with them

Jon from Living Designs did a great job. Say Matt from Enville Rd referred you.
matyhaty

Postby Freddie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:00 am

Good luck!

I had a rear extension built and it was one of the most stressful experiences in my life. Never again

I ended up project managing it myself, because the builder ignored the plans for tree preservation (foundations), lintel (covered up before inspected) and drain inspections (filled in before inspected). I ended up communicating with SSDC as the appointed builder tried to flout just about every regulation going and it was me that needed the completion certificate.

All that said, he did a very good job, he just did not like being told what to do by the council.

It is not just a builder you need, it is a project manager, as well as a nice Bob the Builder. I would not even consider trying to organise and manage it yourself as you will be letting yourself in for a lot of stress

It took 16 months from original discussion to completion. 7 months of argument to agree they would give me what I wanted (ended up digging in my heals and designing it myself), 3 months to get the plans drawn and planning application approved, and then and 6 months of stress.

If you go it alone, then make certain you get a fixed quotes for every step, i.e. builder, plasterer, plumber, electrician, joiner, etc., and make certain you get a receipt for everything.

(PS, my builder was not local to Kinver)
Freddie

Return to Kinver Business