[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
KinverOnline Forum • View topic - Harleys Smokehouse, Dunsley

Harleys Smokehouse, Dunsley

Eveything else. All the chat and nonsense that normally goes on around a roaring fire in your local pub.

Moderators: Chavzone, Daisy

Re: Harleys Smokehouse, Dunsley

Postby Boycee » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:54 pm

The last time I check on Tripadvisor there was the following:

"Harleys Smokehouse & Grill" with 8 reviews (2 x excellent, 2 x very good, 4 x poor)
"Harley's" with 3 reviews (1 x excellent, 2 x very good)
"Harleys" with 2 reviews (1 x excellent, 1 x poor)

Re: getting things ready... I agree. They have had plenty of time to get staff trained up.. A lot of damage can be done to a business' reputation in the first few weeks, especially in a small village.
Boycee

Postby snetta » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:07 pm

snetta

Postby Sniper » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Multiplicity of "Review Points" - Harleys Smokehouse & Grill or Harley's - doesn't help much.

As I recall there were a couple of reviews logged under Dunsley Hall Hotel also.

Absolutely concur on the Staff Training issues.
Sniper
Super-user

Postby snetta » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:12 pm

Popped there Tuesday evening for Gail's bday & very nice it was too, good beer, good food & helpful attentive staff made for a nice night. We were a tad surprised how quiet it was, perhaps the opening rush is over now but it still needs more of us there to give it a bit more atmosphere!
The only thing we could really pick on was the naff cutlery but if that's all it can't be bad. :o

I'm sure folk will pick faults but it's not trying to be the savoy is it.
It might be a good idea if they could sort a reliable taxi to recommend, especially over the winter months it's a tad too far when the weather's naff.
snetta

Postby PaulL » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:56 pm

I went to a pop up night and last week, and can only recommend it, great food, plenty busy and plenty of helpful friendly staff...

As for "they had more than enough time to get everything ship shape" doesn't hold with what I've 'heard".. though they would have been happier to open even earlier if the banks had been more helpful.
"If you went to a hairdressers and they royally fucked up your Barnet, would it be OK if it was their first day ?" has anyone actually suggested that the chef didn't know what they were doing? The waiting staff is another matter, and so your comment is disproportionate and ill conceived as I don't think it fair to expect newly trained staff to get it right straight away, as training and actually dealing with customers is another matter. Ever had a customer facing job? If you have you know it wasn't a simple matter of training, experience is what matters... obviously new business cannot afford to hire only experienced staff, in the real world, not the fantasy one you seem to live in
Also opening slightly earlier than expected after to another local "smoke house" appearing out of no where, on the tails of Harley's successful local campaign couldn't have exactly helped (did no one find their new banner being cut up the night it went up suspicious?).

and finally I think that taking to social media and make blind sweeping comment without actually experiencing it first hand, is more of an issue than any small bump in the road, a new business has.

Harley has a thumbs up from me, this thread doesn't.
PaulL

Postby Boycee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:22 am

Boycee

Postby Sniper » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:34 am

Just had a look at Tripadvisor.
Seems the balance of opinon is improving.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... gland.html
Maybe the place now warrants a "Boycee Practical Review"?
Sniper
Super-user

Postby Boycee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:48 am

I think it does!

....however The new Whittington thing looks much more my cup of tea... (at least they have demonstrated the perspicacity to hold soft openings to polish up new staff and procedures prior to full launch)
Boycee

Postby Sniper » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:57 am

I await the BPR with interest. :o

My wife went to The Manor last week and was very impressed. Mind you I'm told they've bunged £1.5 million at it and the Revere Group do enjoy an enviable reputation at their other locations
Sniper
Super-user

Postby snetta » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:32 pm

We paid an off the cuff return visit last Monday at around 20:00 and was shocked to find it so busy compared to our previous visit only a week earlier!
We hadn't booked but were welcomed with an advisory that there would be a delay on food as the kitchens were busy - not a problem so we had a drink at the bar while we waiting for our table to be readied. There came the first confusion....how do they open a tab without a table number they mulled over for several minutes :confused: :confused:

It wasn't too long before being shown to our table, followed by a longer wait for our orders to be taken but pleasantly surprised at how quickly our food to arrived - result ;)

The menu isn't massive but this week they had populated the "specials board" - i guess they'd had a power meeting on how many ways can you serve pulled pork - the burrito was very good and so were the chili fries. The staff were all willing & seemed happy but still not a polished crew as yet - we were OK with that but Boycee seems harder to please :p

I'm glad it was busy, I hope they can make a go of it but they do need to sharpen things up a tad, the one thing i did notice on the this visit that could be a cause for concern is the noise!! I do like the minimalistic approach with the decor but it does nothing to absorb the sound so it felt like we were eating amid the South Staffs all-comers Shouting Contest, i can see that being off putting for some.

We'd just popped in for "our tea" and went home full, relatively happy at a reasonable cost - mustn't grumble :)
snetta

PreviousNext

Return to General Banter